Strip Bar Malls

Courtship or dating if you prefer is at best an awkward time of getting to know a person who may become your life companion.  Communication is vital during this time and especially if you are dating from a distance as Mike and I did.  We talked on the phone for nearly four hours one evening, we found reason to have unlimited text message plans and we sent a lot of e-mail.  Communication to the max!  We needed this because we had both been in lengthy relationships prior.  One day I received an e-mail that for a second derailed this love story.  Mike was describing his social life when I read, or rather thought I read, "tonight I'm going to tour the strip bar malls of Overland Park". STRIP BAR malls?!  He is going to a strip bar mall?!!  I was horrified.  What had I gotten myself into?  I thought I had better re-read that sentence just to make sure what I had read before I dumped the chump.  I am so glad I did!  Because what he had written was strip mall bars. Strip. Mall. Bars. He was referring to the one or two places that he frequented in pursuit of a good BLT and a beer at the end of a busy day.  I have chuckled about this many times over the past three years and I marvel at the difference one dyslexic slip can make.  

Yesterday morning while viewing our bank accounts, our checking account balance was a bit lower than I'm comfortable with and so I thought I should transfer some money from savings to checking.  Mike is usually the one to fuss about this but he had sense enough to know that in less than 24 hours we were both going to be paid.  I persisted and my stubbornness won.  I proudly announced, "there I transferred money to our checking account."  I hopped out the door to work with confidence that if money needed to be spent it could be.  Before I tell you what happened next, I swear to you that I was not trying to find some kind of sick revenge on my husband for the mis-communication or rather, the mis-read incident from three years prior.  While I was at work, Mike sat down at a local Greek restaurant to enjoy a gyro when on his phone came a notification from the bank informing him that our checking account balance had gone below our designated comfort zone.  In fact, it was almost zero!  The proud transfer I had made earlier in the day was destined to be a dyslexic disaster.  I had actually transferred our entire checking account to the savings account. 

Communication builds relationships and it can tear them down in a flash.  E-mail is a wonderful tool and regretfully I have clicked send way too fast in some instances.  I have hurt the feelings of others and I have caused many humorous blunders with the careless click of a button.  I have mis-read and almost missed out on a lifetime of love and companionship with my favorite and yes, only husband Mike. 

I really love technology for its instant way of communicating but today I wonder if slowing down to write everything longhand would save a whole lot of trouble!

Thanks for stopping by!

Amy Lynn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude to Renewed Faith

What Are You Afraid Of?

Where Never is Heard...