All That I Need

Kauffman Center view from Broadway Street


A typical Sunday morning for me these days is usually spent on the rocky trails in my favorite park. I love to hike and pray and think and dream. Because we can't attend church in person these days, I have been attending "worship service" in nature. I like to stop and stand still to listen to the birds singing and the distant conversations of other hikers carrying on the wind. Is God speaking to me through it all? Sometimes I think so. Other times I think he stands still over it all just to listen. The harmony of the birds with the sound of the wind through the trees must be quite pleasing to the one
Kauffman Center view from Wyandotte Street
who created it all.

This week I decided to do something different. I wanted a different view of life. I packed up my camera and headed into the city; Kansas City. I admire architecture and there is plenty of beautiful pieces of art in our City. I spent the majority of my time near the Kauffman Center of Performing Arts a beautiful structure designed by architect, Moshe Safdie.

The urban world has its own beauty. Whether in the skilled craftsmanship of architects and builders or in the pristine landscaping that accents it all. In the heart of it all are Kansas City's people. When you talk with Kansas Cityans you will hear mention of everything from the Superbowl Champion Chiefs to the opportunities to see world class performances at any of the notable venues in our city.

I like to take my camera into the city on Sunday mornings because there aren't many people around, even under normal circumstances. I can stand in the middle of a street and take my time to find a perspective that inspires me; that makes me think. Sometimes a shape will catch my eye other times it's a color that breaks up the skyline.
View from 17th Street looking South

While I walk through the streets, I often get to visit with someone who is passing by. They are curious about what I am seeing and sometimes they take time to visit. This week I had an opportunity to visit with a lady who looked worn from time and living on the streets. I asked her if she lived in the neighborhood and she glibly replied, "yes, I'm homeless can't you tell". She was carrying a bag that may have had everything she owned in it. I told her that I never assume. She went on to say that she doesn't need my money. I said, "that's ok because I don't have any". We both laughed and walked together for a block or so.

She sleeps in a shelter by night, has a part-time job as a cashier at a convenience store by day and because of her age, she has income from social security. When she is not working, she spends time in parks because she can't check back into the shelter until dinner time.I asked her why she gets so angry when people offer her money. She said, "I have everything I need" and went on to say that she believes that "people who have too much, don't appreciate what they have". Our conversation went on for a few more minutes and she went on her way.

As I walked away, the words,"I have everything I need" stuck with me. It was quite sobering. She was homeless and yet, she has everything that she needs. She doesn't have car and yet, she has everything that she needs. She has no one place to call "home" and yet...she has everything she needs.

My friend, Lynn B., challenged me once when I was lamenting all that I didn't have. She said, "Stop! Look at what you DO have and give thanks." Perhaps the lady that I visited with on Sunday was an angel in disguise reminding me to be thankful that I have what I need and so much more. I don't know.

God reached to the depth of my heart from the heart of the city and for this I am grateful.

Thanks for stopping by,

Amy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude to Renewed Faith

What Are You Afraid Of?

Where Never is Heard...