So It Began



     I had the privilege of spending time with Mike and his extended family this past weekend.  As family functions go, there was much to learn about each other and to simply refresh our memories.  Being somewhat new to the Potts family, I had the difficult task of remembering the names of the adults, children and family pets.  I survived and am a better woman because of it.  There were some tears, but they evaporated quickly into laughter as the reminiscing soon turned to the wiles of our youth.
  
     Whenever I am in a situation like this, I am taken back in my mind to a little town in Iowa called Pierson.  It is where my life began.  I would often walk to the edge of town; within a couple blocks no matter the direction, to wade in the shallow creek.  Squishing mud between my toes while the cool water splashed on my ankles, life could not be better.  With the accompaniment of the meadowlark and the red winged blackbird, I would often make up my own little songs.  I was alone, but I was never lonely.
  
     I was asked recently to recall the time when I first believed there was a God.  I didn't really have to think too long.  Perhaps I didn't know what to call it at the time, or maybe didn't understand why I wasn't lonely while I walked in fields of clover.  Today, I know it was the beginning of my faith in God.  Although I have experienced my share of tragedy and loss, I too have known much joy.  When I sit and think about the little girl who walked those creek banks barefoot and without a worry, I can almost feel the mud between my toes again and I want to go there.

  
     When I hear testimonies of how people came to a belief in Christ because of a single life changing event, I sometimes doubt the significance of my simple my journey.  I know better today because God's footprints are every where when I look back 46 years. Maybe I still believe today because of the consistent pattern of care and love over time.

"Jesus, Jesus how I trust Him, 
how I've proved him o'er and o're. 
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus, 
oh for faith to trust Him more"  

     I have sung the words of this hymn many times and perhaps that in essence is my testimony.  It wasn't a single life changing event that brought me to this faith.  It has been a daily recognition that something or someone bigger than I, has kept me all these years. 

     Thank you for reading my words and be encouraged this day knowing that the "One who began a good work in you is faithful to complete it"


Amo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude to Renewed Faith

What Are You Afraid Of?

Where Never is Heard...